Heartbalm - "Where words await..."
RSS

Recent Posts

A Priest Story
The Great Wait
Longmire: More Frenzy than Freedom
Longmire: American Hero with an Australian Twist

Categories

Life
TV
powered by

My Blog

A Priest Story

I remember, years ago, when I was in my home parish, a priest who was assigned there for several years. I don’t recall many details about him, except that he kept getting my place of work confused with someone else, and I was always correcting him.  I never brought it up, but each time we would meet, he would inevitably ask me a question about working in this specific place, for some unknown reason.  Perhaps it resonated with him (or he wanted me to work there!); perhaps he was just a bit muddled.

He was a very, very nice person.  I want to clarify that because people, being who and what they were, were unkind when describing him.  They poked fun at his sunny disposition, his cheerful demeanor, and mild manner. I have no clue as to why this causes unkindness from others, and I should, since I was one of them, at the time.

Maybe it was just easy.

Perhaps he illuminated something we lacked?

In retrospect, he was the much better person. As a priest, that should have been a given, but we all know that it is not necessarily so.
His sin? He always saw the glass half full. Heck, completely full, when it wasn’t.  He saw the goodness and brightness, and I guess, the Light of God, in everything.  Even disastrous situations.  Which, could another reason he was ridiculed.

“Oh, what a beautiful day it IS!”.  He often began his homilies this way.
Which led the fusspot congregants (mostly women, if the truth be told), to proclaim rather smugly: “Why, Fr. Smith could be standing up to  his kneecaps in a basement full of flooded water, and he’d STILL say…Oh, what a beautiful day it IS!”

How dare he?  Sure, he was in a position to be eternally cheerful: He didn’t have bills to pay, kids to raise and lawns to mow. (Just irritating parishioners, I see now.)

Okay, but still not good enough reason for anyone (particularly, CHRISTIANS) to denigrate his perpetually sunny outlook.  It was pretty mean-spirited, and everyone, including me, lost the translation.
Lately, I’ve been thinking about Fr. Smith.  I wish I knew him better. Because he had something we all chase after, in many different ways.  Some not good for us at all.

He had faith.  He had hope.  He had…yeah, God.  And he was sure of his God.  So why NOT look at the inherent good, even if the basement was full of water?  Why NOT proclaim How Great Thou Art, then and there?
I know, it’s easy to say, but believe me, I’ve seen people with tremendous burdens who manage to stay hopeful, positive…and kind.  Maybe he was one!  And we just didn’t know…or didn’t chose to know.
How unChristian of us, huh?

So, now looking back, with more wisdom and gratitude for each day, and each new experience, I recognize that Fr. Smith really did have the better attitude.  And the stronger faith.
What’s wrong with wanting to “Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side…”?

Nothing.  In fact, emotionally, it’s way better than seeing that glass half empty…or not there, at all.

11 Comments to A Priest Story:

Comments RSS
Alec Keller on Saturday, October 27, 2018 3:26 AM
Regular job.
Reply to comment

uk best essays on Tuesday, November 6, 2018 12:44 AM
I totally agree that the training of the teachers before beginning the teaching career is very significant as their abilities convert to the kids. Their reactions in the classroom effect the children very quickly and students follow these reactions very soon.
Reply to comment

piknu on Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:12 PM
This is a very good post. Just wonderful. Truly, I am amazed at what informative things you've told us today. Thanks a million for that. Watching great video on instagram with site piknu
Reply to comment

Buy Birds of Prey Costume Online on Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:37 PM
This is a really decent site post. Not very numerous individuals would really, the way you simply did. I am truly inspired that there is such a great amount of data about this subject have been revealed and you've put forth a valiant effort, with so much class. On the off chance that needed to know more about green smoke surveys, than by all methods come in and check our stuff.
Reply to comment

assignment helper on Friday, June 26, 2020 6:12 PM
This article is really contains lot more information about This Topic. We have read your all the information some points are also good and some usually are awesome. Great post I would like to thank you for the efforts you have ma
Reply to comment

essay helper on Friday, July 24, 2020 6:57 PM
I trully appretiate your work and tips given by you is helpful to me. I will share this information with my family & friends. This is a great website, keep the positive reviews coming. This is a great inspiring .I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. I am looking to reading your next post. !!!!
Reply to comment

assignment crux on Friday, July 24, 2020 6:58 PM
That is one of the main reasons that I am very much interested in knowing the history of the things. As most of the time their names are greatly related with their history. Also sometimes you can realize the importance of the thing just by knowing its name like this one here shows its importance by its name that is “cure all”.
Reply to comment

writing dissertation results on Thursday, August 20, 2020 8:36 AM
I think I need some comforting words too just to believe that I'm not alone and that there are people out there who understand me...
Reply to comment

write a conclusion for a dissertation on Monday, September 21, 2020 3:05 AM
A good story to start a day with.
Reply to comment

dissertation literature review writing help on Monday, September 21, 2020 3:46 AM
Let's try to not lose hope and faith even when it seems that life can't become better. It's not like that at all. Life can change in a minute.
Reply to comment

dissertation introduction writing help on Tuesday, October 20, 2020 7:48 AM
Understanding sometimes come long after such life circumstances.
Reply to comment